RE: ramblings on originality/goodness

Title: RE: ramblings on originality/goodness

maybe it's just that tech descriptions are concrete and objective - no one can say 'no you're not using a DL4!' when there's

one under my feet with my bass signal going through it,

** to me, i guess it comes down to what's really being questioned/asked. if the person is asking "how," i would be more inclined to discuss gear or technique/what-have-you; if the question is "what," it becomes a different discussion.

but they could get my CD and then say 'you said you sound like Bill
Frisell - well I really like Frisell, but I thought you were crap', or vice versa 'why didn't you say that you didn't really

sound like Frisell,

** there always seems to be the problem of people wanting an analog to help them decide on a buying decision.

I hate his stuff, but you're the greatest musician I've ever had the good fortune to be in the mere
presence of!'...

** well this happens to me every day   ;-0

Where there are obvious reference points, that's easier to handle (like if I was doing loads of slapping and tapping over

funk changes, Vic Wooten would perhaps be a handy reference point), but as I haven't really co-opted my harmonic, rhythmic

and melodic sensibilities from anyone person (it's all a bit to generic and simple for that... :o) it's a bit harder to
reference...

** i suppose, to me that is stillmoe about technique than it is about music.

so, gear is solid, 'sound' is ephemeral would be my complete cop-out to the above question... :o)

** i suppose, but to me it's like describing beethoven by talking about the piano or miles by talking about the trumpet. what really stands out about the work? is it the tool or the content?

stig

because everything i do is so important:

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.