Re: things to do in Brazil

>hello everyone,
>
>jans' worldbridger email reminded me...
>
>my brother and i are two loopers heading to Brazil from 12-26 to
>1-22. normally we are based in the San Jose and San Francisco, CA,
>areas (we share www.modaldub.net with some friends), but we hope to
>explore new atmospheres and make new friends in magical, musical
>Brazil. if things go well we are planning on returning for a few
>months this summer, with a view towards performing and recording
>with some of the multi-faceted Brazilians.

as long as you dont expect to earn money, or even put some, a lot is
possible.

>does anyone on the list have any advice, tips, experience, etc.,
>regarding Brazil? we are starting off in Rio and will be moving
>around from there as the melody takes us. i have heard good things
>about liberal politics in Minas Gerais, and music in the north-west,
>as well as good things all around about the towns of Olinda and
>Recife. of course, Rio and Sao Palo have famous music scenes...
>decisions decisions ;)

Rio is nice (just dont go to CopaCabana where the theives wait for you)
Sao Paulo is interesting due to big offer, but no nice place to stay
(stress)
Cities of the NorthEast are beautifull and relaxed and have nice beaches.
Recife maybe the most musically "boiling" right now.
Music of Minas Gerais is nice, elaborated, soft, sensible...

Some names for a panorama of "original" actual music:

Rio and South: Adriana Calcagnoto, Zizi Possi, Gabriel Pensador,
Egberto Gismonti,
        Ed Motta, Lobao, Boca Livre, Arrigo Barnabe...
Recife: Zeca Balerio, Chico Science, Mestre Ambrosio...
Salvador: Gilberto Gil, Carlinhos Brown, Marisa Monte...
Minas: Milton Nascimento, Toinho Horta (Pat Methenys idol), Uakti
(instrument creators)

Since local air fares are pretty high (especially in this season,
Rio-Salvador for example US$ 180 / 2h), consider buying a AirPass, a
ticket that allows you to travel 3 weeks. You can only buy it outside
of Brasil.

Traveling by bus is nice, fun, relaxing, cheap, on the hour.
(Rio-Salvador for example US$ 40 / 30h). The Rodoviaria is much
closer to the city, so you also save Taxi.

In january, I have another looper visit from US, but I sure can help
by telefone or personally if you come to Salvador. I know a few
loopers, too.

Welcome!
Matthias

--