Re: VERY interesting article!!!

I suspect that the main benefit for integrating something faster and (as
they say, gag) "more robust" for transmission of data between instruments
and... what?... would be in the area of studio setup.  One of the original
ideas I remember hearing in the early 80s from some techs at Roland had to
do with a grand concept encapsulating instrumental setup in studios.  The
idea being that synths could be just plugged in, and the patches/etc. sent
to them, before the musicians arrived.  Less time for checkout/setup at
least, I'd say... and not just for the musicians, but the studio techs as
well.

Naturally this setup benefit would also be seen on the road.  This would
imply that something well beyond Sysex via MIDI is in the works somehow.
At
least they're using Ethernet, so it'll be 100Mbs, which is galaxies away
from MIDI speed.

Analog / acoustic instruments need not apply, I suspect.  But since the
effort will be able to be shifted from setup for all instruments to just
the
non-digital ones, I can at least hope that the science of non-digital setup
becomes more manageable over time.

 "Dennis Leas" <dennis@mdbs.com> put forth: