slightly OT: cables

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I had planned on using George L. cable for my pedalboards and as an instrument cable...and then setting up my rack with the other.

One more ignorant question.  Believe it or not, as of now all my rack gear is running 'in series' from one piece to the next - all of it being stacked up on my stereo speakers.  How's that for lo-tech?

Funny thing about this is that the noise level changes.  Sometimes it's extremely noisy and at others it is extremely quiet.  This is amazing to me because my preamp is (god forbid) an ADA MP-2.  What do you all think would cause the change in noise levels?

-and when I say quiet, all the noise I can sometimes hear is the sound of the fan in the power amp!   -Todd