Re: FIRST LOOPING MEMORIES

i'm probably one of the youngest members here, so my
first experiences with looping are probably 20 years
after a lot of you guys and girls...

when i was 16, my first loops were with the boss dd5 2
second sampler. i was in a little high school band and
i wanted to have sequences and drones and whatnot, so
i set up these droning swell sounds that i thought
were great, but the rest of the band was quickly
getting irritated and demanding that i start acting
like a guitar player again. we also had an ensoniq
esq1 that i would loop rythmic and synth sequences on,
but again, the rest of the band was kind of wondering
why i couldn't just play the damn song ("how can we
jam when we have sequences going on?"). i've not been
in a steady band since...once i figured out that i
could trigger the sp-202 with a sequence to handle
beats and rythm guitar, it was over.

i don't remember when it finally occurred to me that
real time looping was a possibility...i'm sure it had
something to do with ric in over the rhine, and
certainly by the second MONK album it was apparent.

then i started listening to michael brook and i said,
i gotta get me some *that* shit...

good topic!

phil

=====
"Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what
it's like to live inside somebody else's skin.
 It is the knowledge that there can never really be any
peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally
for you too."
                                   -Frederick Buechner
"The jewel is in the lotus."