looping in general

Title: Re: Phil Keaggy -- looping in general
I've been looping for about a year now, and find that I absolutely love it at home.  I can get lost in loops, I can play and hit wonderful zones where I feel that I can go on forever, I sometimes create loops that I can listen to for a long long time and go to some wonderful emotional places with.
However, sometimes it's just dry -- and not really happening -- and this seems pretty much out of my control.
And this makes it kind of scary for live performances.  I like the freedom of looping.  I don't really like planning things in advance -- but it seems out of my control whether anything is going to work live or not.

Another thing that seems to make things work or not is, the levels of overdubbed sounds in a loop really contribute to making something ordinary or magical -- and this seems hard to control, too.
** hi,

i'm not sure that this is only a looping issue . . . it seems to me it's a performance issue. in other words, doing an improv set/show is often going to have the potential pitfalls of dry/less-than-satisfying moments. i believe this to be the nature of the beast; sometimes it's gonna click, other times it won't. (i used to feel that 75% success of any given set was good, now my sights are on 90%  or higher.)

my best advice would be to keep doing it; if you aren't that used to doing it now, you are developing new creative muscles (so to speak) and will most likely get better at doing it over time.

my last bit of advice would be to do stuff where looping isn't the only thing you do; be freer with your "program." do what you feel at that moment. if you feel that you *must* do looping, that may be setting yourself up for an expectation/limitation that will curtail what you are creating.

my 2 cents worth,

stig

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.