Re: Expectations, artifice, and a hell of a can of worms

>I've
>played in configuarations from duos to 18 member ensembles and looping
>still
>does the most
>for me in a musical sense. Money? I work in an industrial laundry for
>that,
>no need to
>pimp out the best "personal truth through art" I can experience..... for a
>buck.
>
>My  -2 cents worth.....happy new year.
>
>                                                     bryan helm

I'm one of those "amateurs by choice" - my day job affords me the liberty
and resources (if not all the time I would like) to practice my art :-)
without burdening it with the weight of responsibility to provide a source
of income. As such, most of my looping is enjoyed by an audience of me.
I'm
fortunate also to be in a band that is quite appreciative of my loopiness,
and has embraced it as an element of our overall sound and approach to
improvisation as well as composition. Only in select instances do we play
anything entirely dependent on looping. This unburdens the looping per se
even further, providing me an outlet yet avoiding my having to stave my
emotional involvement with it on an audience's response (a vulnerable spot
to put oneself in anyway, as evident in the posting that got this thread
started... hmmm, hard to tell which one that was).

I admit I sometimes envy those professionals (used in a strict sense, not
blowing on cinders here;-) for having been fortunate to pursue a life
calling, that is, without the duality inherent in a dayjob/ passionate
hobby
arrangement. But then again, there's admittedly a lot of dualities to be
dealt with in a professional musician's life, and I did start off by
counting blessings here...

I just wanted to say I've been thoroughly enjoying the past few days of
spending a little more time listening in on a few truly wonderful
discussions here, with real insights, observations, wisdom and experience
being so gracefully shared. Loopers' Delight is to me a joy to be a part
of
and an example for any public forum. (Again with the counting of
blessings..;-)

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy, humanly safe and musically
adventurous 2002.

Nic