Re: GIGGING as a looper questions...

>I am curious to hear from all you loopers who gig with your looping
>talents...

Well, I consider myself pretty fortunate as I actually make a living doing
solo bass/looping shows.  Of course, I need to supplement that, sometimes
meager, amount with sessions, side-man gigs, teaching etc. but,
nonetheless,
100% of my income is generated thru music.  I am not starving, I own my on
house...so I think I am doing pretty well.
One thing about doing this (the solo/looping shows)...you cannot be lazy
about things.  I find that when I slip, and let things slide abit, well,
everything suffers.  This is much more demanding than working for someone
else.  The thing about "doing it all yourself" is that you really MUST do
it
all yourself.  You need to be entrepeneurial.  Often times creating gigs,
which may or may not pay (and then, may only pay very little) just to get
some exposure on the chance it could blossom into something a little more
financially rewarding.
I get gigs everywhere I can...coffee shops, bars, art galleries,
restaurants
even local crafts fairs and such.  Being versatlie, stylistically, helps,
as
does have a range of "accessible" music, in addition to some more
challenging stuff (ambient, "soundscapes" etc. always work well in art
galleries).  I have done commissions for dance troupes.  I have rec'd both
teaching and Artist In Residence grants which provide me with both outlets
and resources for shows.
It is a lot of work, and I suppose a bit of luck, making this all work.
And
you are bound to run into some walls.

>I live in Montana so the music scene is tough to get clubs to even hire
>live
>music (especially original)
especially, methinks, in Montana.  But, I don't live in an area of Calif.
which is especially a cultural Mecca...so it can be done.  JUst go and
create your "market" and create the neccessity of your gigs.

>I want to know the average set length and how many sets per performance
>you
>do?
geez...this varies alot.  From 30min to hours long/multi set shows

>I am personally looking forward to non-rehersed improvisation on my bass
>with
>my EDPs... usually solo but occasionally adding drums/electronic drums /
>and
>or percussion ... and possibly an occasional vocalist.
Sounds great...Good luck...just go for it.  Chances are where you are not
too many people have been exposed to this kind of thing, but that does not
neccessarily mean they won't be recpetive to it.  Just do it!  Even if you
have to do one or two shows for free...
As for the $$....I began working VERY cheaply. From free shows to doing it
just for tips at restaurants and coffee houses (which is very good
practice,
btw).  Now I can, sometimes, make what a band might pull for a show...or
sometimes even more! Avg. about $200 for a 45min-1hour set, but I have
been
lucky enough to make $1000 for a 30min set! (altho not very often, there).
You have to gauge things according to the draw, the market, and what a
venue/client might be willing to pay.  And remember when you first start
doing this, nobody knows you...so don't expect much!
If you are truely driven to do it...then great!  Good luck...make it
happen,
find other like-minded musicians
to share a bill...create a gig (or two or three or more)....
...and let us know how it is working out.
Hope this helps a bit....
Max