From: KILLINFO@aol.com [mailto:KILLINFO@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 9:46 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: adrian belew / david torn videos / NAMM story

All,

Adrian Belew Electronic Guitar (60 mins.)
Copyright 1984 DCI Music Video Productions
available at: http://www.gtrheaven.com/videos.htm

David Torn Painting with Guitar (2 tape series / total time: 130 mins.)

Copyright 1993 Homespun Tapes Ltd. available at:
http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=564

I own both of these and while I have enjoyed both and have benefited
from both I'd still have to say that the later has been more useful.

Belew's video is mostly built around getting specific, signature,
oddball
sounds from various devices that are no longer available. He does
explain a small number of physical playing techniques too, but these
are few and far between as I recall. It's also a gas to see him
experiment live on camera. But, while it is a terrific peek at the
"wizard" behind the
curtain (so to speak, for anyone who has ever heard his music and
wondered "how the heck did he do that?") it doesn't translate much
beyond that in overall usefulness.

On the other hand, while Mr. Torn in his videos also makes use of a
number
of similarly esoteric (and probably no longer available) devices, the
explanations he gives of his techniques are generally more transferable
to other devices and styles of music. His demonstrations seem to reveal
at least as much of the "architecture" as it does of the "hardware"
behind his approach. This is more useful in my opinion. And there's
still the
same "peek behind the curtain" aspect of it too -- and, as expected, the

playing
is fascinating to listen to/watch as well.

As an aside: I bought the DTPWG video at one of my first NAMM shows (in
the
early '90s when I was working for Seymour Duncan). It was at the end of
the
day and not 5-10 minutes after making my purchase -- when I was rushing
back
across the hall to meet up with my coworkers to head out for the
evening's
activities -- and just who should I almost physically run into rounding
corner
(whilst not looking and concentrating on other things) but Mr. Torn
himself.
Of course, like the doofus I am, I said: "Excuse me, uh, err.... Hi,
aren't
you
David Torn? I reeeeeally like your stuff. Keep it up (or some other
silliness).
Have a great show!" Then I hurried off like the happy, harried idiot I
was.
He
probably wondered "What the _____ was that all about?" Anywho, it didn't

occur
to me that I had his videos in a bag under my arm (and might have gotten
them
autographed). I was too embarrassed by the situation of almost having
bumped
into a fellow struggling along with a walking stick (not to mention that
it
turned
out to be an artist who's work I happen to think rather a very great
deal of). Ah . . . so it goes.

Anyway, if you go to NAMM, watch out where you are going. You never know

just who you may bump into.

Best,

Ted Killian

www.mp3.com/TedKillian