? bass audio trigger sampled/drum

I've been sampling drum sounds with a quadra verb and triggering them with
bass slaps. It seems to be working well, but I wonder if I could optimize
it
better, the triggering that is.  Right now I have a Beringer compressor on
insert of the bass channel. I am triggering on assigned 1/2 sub channels
into the quadraV, returning into.....well the return on the mixer. duh,
This
sounds so intelligent.

Anyway, I am compressing the bass just above the trigger point. I'm
wondering if there might be a better way to do this.  The 2/compressor has
an insert in it for ducking.

I've been using a DR-5 for a source of the drums. Any takers out there?
Denis Aldrich