Re: EDP or REPEATER? (and the future)

William Mcallister wrote:

> I'LL get the EDP first
> because of the discontinuing scare, but what about the upgrade rumor(
> now I'm confused again).

The upgrade, from what I've seen mentioned here, has been in beta-test
mode for some time, and will likely continue in that mode for some time
to come.  In other words, it could be a bit longer before the final
version of EDP Loop 4 software is out of beta mode and ready to ship; it
all depends on the results of any subsequent testing.

Once the testing is done and the upgrade is definitively ready, I would
strongly suspect that Aurisis Research (Kim and Matthias' company which
handles the R&D for the EDP software) will make the upgrade available
direct from them, as an EPROM update which is very straightforward and
easy to install.  This is how they've been handling Loop 3, to service
those users who purchased EDP's prior to the release of the last
software update five years ago.  (Kim or Matthias, please correct me if
I'm wrong on this).

There's actually a somewhat similar situation with the Repeater, in that
the preliminary units shipped with 1.0 software, and the 1.1 edition of
the software was released relatively shortly thereafter.  Electrix is
making the upgrade available via download or CFC card for those users
who might have bought (or may still buy) a unit with the 1.0 edition.
(Jamie, holler if this isn't accurate).

> Then I'll get the Repeater, for its storage
> capabilities.

There's a lot more to the Repeater than just storage capacity!  Just as
there's much more to the EDP than just a seamless record-to-overdub
architecture.

But I agree that the ideal answer, if a person is so inclined, is to get
both units.  And I would even go so far as to suggest that anyone who
has a significant interest in either unit, as well as the sufficient
funds to do so, SHOULD pick up both units... and should consider doing
so sooner rather than later.

A strong show of customer interest at this point in time can make a
surprisingly big difference in the long run, if and when it should come
time for a company (or a parent company) to think about how far they
want to support and pursue the further development of deep-featured
looping devices.

Now, I'm certainly not trying to imply that either the EDP or the
Repeater is on its last legs.  But I don't believe that either Gibson or
Electrix is raking in money hand over fist from their loopers.  These
are still fringe products, for the most part, and a lot of people don't
even understand what they DO, let alone how they might go about
integrating them into their own music making.

One thing I've learned over five and a half years of being on this list
is that a "normal consumer" has a surprisingly large amount of power
when it comes to helping to determine the course that a product will
take: both in terms of their feedback to the designers/manufacturers,
and in terms of their basic purchasing power.

So, I'm not saying a person should go bankrupt buying a bunch of gear
they aren't doing to use.  But if you do have any substantial curiosity
about any of the serious looping devices, I definitely encourage you to
take a hands-on look at the gear, get a sense of what it can do for you,
and consider making an investment in both your own music making, and the
long-term potential for the development of looping gear.

Rant over!

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com