was - Re: Ableton Live a sEriOuS contender!

snips -
-----Original Message-----
From: Nemoguitt@aol.com <Nemoguitt@aol.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2002 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: Ableton Live a sEriOuS contender!
>> Look out as
>> that 4/4 groove becomes a 6/8 waltz
>
>this is what scares me.....composition seems to become more dependent on
the >depth of my programs (almost "chance" composition) than on my own
ability to
>work with notes, sounds, the building blocks of music.....how often do i
>compose a 6/8 waltz as compared to a 4/4 groove?....i do not mean this as
any
>kind of slam, i would love to get lost in the never ending options
available >in all these cool sounding programs, my major concern for
"myself" is, can i >call the end product of sending a loop from my rang
thru
a bunch o filters
>etc. a "composition"? its more like an unrepeatable event.....i feel like
the >kid in the candy store who ate one too many bon-bons after a knob
twisting >session.....perhaps its the word "composition" thats got me
befuddled.....i
>was just thinking the other day "i hate my music in fact i hate all music"
i >want a new drug!.....but for the life of me i couldnt find anything to
>replace the "music" (whatever that is) with.....maybe
>exercise.....nahhh....:)m

hmm, i'm lucky then. I steered clear of computer music. totally out of that
loop. I record live through (sometimes) a mixer onto MasterLink, FD8, dat,
new dvmedia. I never got what running through mazes on a screen did for
anyone. I love tweaking things while I play and getting rid of a creak or
footstep just isn't worth the loss of communication for me. But
studio-personification is something that is a character in the music for me
lately, and I like to mic, yes I do. So this works fine for me but to each
his reach.
or failing that idea: just play for yourself and don't record it until you
hear yourself playing your instrument (whatever tool that may be).
best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002