Re: Am I good enough for my looper?

snipples ~
-----Original Message-----
From: Graham, Lindsay <lgraham@post.cis.smu.edu>
To: 'Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com'
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Friday, January 25, 2002 11:27 AM
Subject: Am I good enough for my looper?
>It's been a long while since I posted, but I've been keeping up with
the>list by reading the archives on the web.  This list constantly
stimulates>me.

>I recently got my Repeater (thank you, Alto) and I have to say, the thing
>scares me to death.  I have been only dabbling in loops, it seems.  My two
>DL4s have produced some amazing textures, but this Repeater thing, well,
>it
>has frustrated me beyond my coping.  Or rather, I have frustrated me.

Lindsay    -
maybe it just doesn't fit with what you're striving for sonically speaking.
I have a RPTR and it now sits in the closet (downgraded from sitting
impotent atop my amp) and it will stay there until i'm good and ready to
use
it. in the meantime i have found that i didn't need a RPTR to get what i
wanted across, so it wasn't/isn't being used. it's just an instrument, it
either fits you now or it doesn't. frustration cramps creativity.

This>is the first piece of gear I've owned that hasn't fed the Gear Lust
false>logic of, "well, if I get this, I'll sound better."  It is better
than
I am.>Its capabilities and the vast sonic potential it holds has petrified
me and>I haven't produced anything I couldn't already have done on the DL4.
I know >that much, much better can be done.

well that being said, i'm an old hand at buying way too much gear and then
never selling it because i felt that i had to own the sonic possibilities
of
said tool. so i have very little fear when investing in something as cheap
as the RPTR (never recorded with it, way too slow). of course i used it in
way that it sounded like a fuzz, but have found my EDP makes a much better
fuzz.

Witness, for example, Mr. Torn's>transcendent Splattercell work (btw, I'd
love to find out more about Gareth>Williams, whose Remiksis  track I love).
The Repeater is challenging me and
>I feel I have failed it.  How does one make that leap in one's own
progress?>Music is so personal to me; I am not patient with it and grow
easily>discontent.  A piece of gear I thought I'd torture with use, the
Repeater >now most often sits in sleep mode, mocking me with long, slow
blinks.  How>do I overcome this?  Where is the breakthrough?
>>http://leftofeliot.iuma.com
>>Lindsay

I think you know what you'd like to sound like by now, so go with that.
gear is just stuff we use to communicate, like language.

best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002