Re: Cables

Just to play devil's advocate, my goal for some thirty years has been
to run my entire studio off of one or a couple DC voltages, supplied
at home by a single power supply resembling a wall more than a wart
(PV panels in the cabin) and on the road by car batteries or
whatever. Equipment which already has DC input jacks makes it
slightly easier to pretend I'm ever going to complete this transition.

It's also just not true that wall warts necessarily radiate more hum
into audio paths than internal power supplies. The transformer inside
one very expensive piece of gear I own is directly beneath the mic
preamp in another unit which I would like to have mounted in an
adjacent rack space. Oh well, not much I can do about that.

The internal power supply in another very popular multi-effects
processor is a horribly noisy piece of crap which not only generates
more 60Hz than a PG&E substation but only puts out more RF than Sutro
Tower. Oh well, not much I can do about that either. At least with a
wall wart it's really simple to relocate the hum generator, keep all
the AC in the bottom of the rack, or even replace the power supply
with something cleaner than any manufacturer puts inside their gear
if it's still a problem.

Oh yeah, there's a decent chance that the first thing to fail in your
rack will be a power supply, and it's kinda cool to be able to carry
cheap spares and replace them in 30 seconds.

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate. My only real pet peeve is
the Yamaha stuff which has an internal supply but a hardwired, way
too long, too stiff, unrepairable AC cord.

-Alex