Re: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

>In a message dated 1/27/02 JIMFOWLER@prodigy.net writes:
>
>>anybody got any suggestions for a guitar synthesizer?
>>roland 33 looks nice, but i'd like some experienced
>  >opinions if you don't mind.
>
>Also, I find that the actual sound patches on both the
>older and newer G-series synths leave a lot to be desired.
>You have to edit and process and tweak the heck out of
>any patch to get anything remotely interesting out.
>But I guess that's the same with just about anything.

I'm in total agreement here.  I've got a GR-30, and I'm not thrilled
with it's sounds, but if I run them through enough effects, I can get
some cool stuff.  Why doesn't Roland put a decent tone generator in
these boxes?  Who knows.  I'd love to be able to REALLY tweak the
sounds (the sounds aren't very tweakable.  I've tried augmenting mine
with my wife's Alesis S4, but although I set the pitch bend
parameters to be the same, it didn't track well at all.  I need to
spend some more time with that.

I saw an Axon GK2 pickup to MIDI converter demo'd
(http://www.musicindustries.com/axon/index.html.)  It seemed to work
REALLY well, but it was a bit pricey.  The upside is you can really
use any synth you'd like.  If I had the dough to do it over, this is
what I'd get.

Mark