RE: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

Title: RE: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.
At 8:10 AM -0800 1/29/02, larry.peterson@autodesk.com wrote:
You shouldn't have to make that choice.  The internal GK-2A is available.  This is the
version of the pickup used in the Strats.  I've got one on my touch-guitar and it's just
awesome.  These should be available through luthier supply stores.

Thanks for that info. I was unaware of that option, so when I bought the Yamaha G50 at eBay auction I also picked up an external GK-2A. Information about the internal kit doesn't seem to be readily available. It's certainly lacking (or well-hidden) on the Roland Web site, but a little Googling turned up several sources in the $220-275 range.

I also found this site describing a DIY adaptation of the external GK as an internal installation: http://private.addcom.de/GP/DIYinternalGK2a.htm

BTW - There is now a a bass version of the Roland VGuitar, as well as a bass version of the GK-2 pickup system:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/2002/v-bass.html
http://www.rolandus.com/products/2002/gk-2b.html

A better alternative might be the RMC system http://www.rmcpickup.com/. For a Strat this would include the Pow'r Bridge 'ST' ($300) plus the Poly-Drive (~$350). There are several options for how/where the electronics are mounted. The system has the added benefit of providing an individual audio output from each string.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com