Re: Unlimited budget (was Re: good processor for weird sounds, etc.?)

Here's my experience:
The Vortex appears to be the only unit that offers algorithm morphing
rather than just parameter crossfading...don't think even Kyma "morphs"
between algorithms, just uses a timeline to redefine what it's doing.  (i
don't have it yet, so I can't say more.) But in practice I don't think this
is such a serious distinction. I have a Vortex, and I haven't found those
"midpoints" where morphing algorithms should be providing otherwise
unthinkable results all that remarkable...perhaps I've given up too
quickly, but the things I've heard aren't obviously different from
crossfading or even very striking--they're kinda mushy. The point for me
is, many units can switch or fade between different preset sounds, but how
interesting/useful/complex are the transitions? I found a tc G-Force to
offer the best multi-position flexibility I've experienced. Since it offers
up to 26 possible mod connections per patch, you can set up very complex
counter movements for a single pedal throw, so that the box is really doing
three or even four very different things at different points along the
path, and the in-between points are definitely useful, not abrupt at all. I
found this much more involving than anything I've heard the Vortex do. The
Fireworx offers even better mod capabilities but unfortunately you can't
get as many fx blocks going at once as on the G-Force, so it's nowhere near
as diverse in practice.
David

 <<is there any way to get into morphing without having to use a computer
program?  i'm trying to keep everything in real-time with as little actual
programming of musical material ahead of time as possible.>>