Re: contact microphones - how?

At 5:15 PM -0800 2/10/02, Richard Zvonar wrote:
> So the answer to your first question about whether to use a contact
> mic to capture sounds from the inside of an object is "it depends."
> I'm also not sure what you mean by a "live" object. If you mean
> "live" as in the case of a live cat, it don't think a contact mic
> would do you much good.

Thanks for the response. You definitely gave me a good idea on what to
expect. By "live" I do mean a living thing, haven't decided what yet. But
the way I imagined the sound was what you would hear when let's say a cat
purrs. How exactly would that purr sound as it travels through the cat? How
would it sound from the outside? Or even when the cat meows...how would
that
sound? Would a contact mic not be able to translate those sounds into
something recognizable? The quality isn't really important, I'm working on
some installations and I don't see the quality interfering with my concept.

Is a contact mic not a good idea for this project? If not, do you have any
ideas on what type of mic could capture something like this?

Thanks again for the detailed response. I really appreciate it.

eileen