Re: Mac issues?

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 09:20  AM, Mark Sottilaro wrote:

> Here's another reason not to go to the dark side:  OS X is amazing.

here here! OS X truly is awesome. i was skeptical at first, but it has
performed so well and is such a joy to use i have been converted. never
will i switch to the dark side. VirtualPC under OS X runs quite well if
i ever run across an absolute essential PC-only software item, which is
pretty rare. i can think of a few Mac-only software items (Absynth) i
wouldn't know how to run on a PC, they must have some reverse version of
VirtualPC... if you spend a lot of time in your OS it's all just so much
easier and more pleasant on a Mac imho.

> Having purchased a MOTU 828 firewire audio interface, my plan is to be
> able to bring that and an iBook to a gig and get an 8 channel direct to
> disk recording.  You could probably do this on a PC too, but I bet it
> wouldn't me nearly as easy.
>
> Mark

the iBooks are looking really sweet for live gigs, both for recording
and as an instrument. you can get the low-end ones for $1200 new now!
couple that with something like the Oxygen8 controller ($130) and you
are set. i am planning on this as my next major purchase also. that and
a Canon GL-1 will complete my wish list... sigh ;)

-jb

-----
Jeff Blanding
jeff@modaldub.net
http://www.modaldub.net

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a
promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own
were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind,
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for
thee."
  - John Donne