Another review (maybe THIS will be the last one).

Hi there!

Well, there seems to be a new review of "Flux Aeterna" up on the web.
Go to http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue18/tkillian.html
or read below. I must say, it's outrageously, embarrassingly positive.
I'd sort of figured that this review thing had nearly run it's course . .
.
but maybe not. Geeeez. Please forgive me for sending in another one.

Best,

Ted Killian

Ted Killian - "Flux Aeterna"
(pfMENTUM 2001, PFMCD007)

>From Aural Innovations #18 (January 2002)

Imagine Robert Fripp, David Torn, Steve Tibbetts, and Jimi Hendrix
at their wildest, and add heavy doses of electronics and space
Kosmiche, and you've something like Flux Aeterna by Oregon
based guitarist Ted Killian. Killian plays electric and acoustic
guitars, samples, loads of creative loop work, and sound design
to create a ripping set of guitar excursions and pyrotechnics that
meld numerous recognizable influences into something decidedly
Killianesque. I gather by "sound design" that Killian is using loads
of guitar efx, perhaps even some electronic gear. The ambient
element is prominent throughout the CD's 10 tracks, but over the
ambience is a man seemingly possessed, wrenching piercing,
noisy, throbbing... you name it... notes from his guitar.

"Hubble" opens the set as a kind of Hendrix Star Spangled Banner
type tune backed by low drones and subtle percussive sounds.
"Leaving Medford" is a combination rock concert shred solo,
psychedelic freakout, and ambient David Torn styled excursion.
Killian keeps the piece busily exciting as he kicks out wailing
and rumbling runs and anguished notes, yet the sonic attack
has an element of restraint from the ambient backdrop and
slowly pulsating electronic sounds. A well crafted piece that
blends killer playing with Killian's frenetic sound designs.
"Cauterant Baptism" features ripping spaced out rock solos
backed by repetitive Dubby/hip-hoppy rhythms and intense l
ooped bits. "Last Sparrow" includes strong Frippoid guitarscape
influences but backed by mechanical minimalist patterns.
"Recurvate Plaint" is an acoustic and electric guitar duo piece
that starts off easy-paced but the electric guitar solos soon start
to shred a bit with sharp attacks that contrast in a strange but
cooperative way with the laid back acoustic guitar. "Convocation
Solitaire" is similar but far more ambient, conjuring up images
of John Fahey teamed up with David Torn. "Gravity Suspended"
is like a noisier version of something from Torn's Cloud About
Mercury. And "Nocturnal Interstices" is an ambient tune featuring
looped Fripp styled guitarscapes placed against a seaside setting
of rushing ocean waves.

And there's plenty more. In some ways I'm reminded of a modern
version of Steve Tibbetts first two albums. Or Fripp gone totally acid
cosmic. King Crimson for space rock fans? In any event, this is one
exciting as hell album that fans of creatively aggressive guitar work
will love. Killian goes nuts on the loops and efx, but all throughout
the album it's crystal clear that the man can PLAY. Highly recommended.

For more information you can visit the pfMENTUM web site at:
http://www.pfmentum.com/.

You'll find loads of sound samples at Ted's Mp3.com web site at:
http://www.mp3.com/tedkillian.

Contact via snail mail c/o pfMENTUM, PO Box 1653, Ventura, CA 93002.

Reviewed by Jerry Kranitz

     [Note from the reviewee: Actually what this guy hears as "wave"
     sounds is a little rain, a bit of distant thunder and cars passing on
     a wet Medford street (going back and forth across the stereo field).
     It's one of my favorite "canned" ambient sample loops. Oh well . . .
     waves are okay too I guess.] :-)>