Re: Loopstock appreciation

I'd also like to voice my appreciation for the remarkable effort put
in by Hans and company, and for the wonderful music and camaraderie
of the event. This is truly a fine group, and I was especially glad
that I decided to hang out until Sunday to have brunch with eleven
other loopers at a damn fine restaurant in SLO.

Several people remarked about the quality of the event. It was
certainly one of the smoothest self-regulating technical concert
situations I've experienced outside of a fully professional
production. The "house" team had established a solid infrastructure,
and this enabled the rest of us to slide into our slots with a
minimum of fuss. Everyone arrived with their gear pretty well
organized, so even though there were a few minor glitches there was
no complete melt-down.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to devote 100% of my attention to all the
other artists. I spent a fair amount of time with headphones one,
getting my own system ready and figuring out what I was goint to do
(I realize in retrospect that the last time I did this sort of
performance was more than three years ago!).

Among those whose sets I did catch in their entirety were Jon and
Matthias, Rick Walker, Ted and Dr. Bob, Tom Heasley, and Bill Walker.
The Walkers are old friends (since the mid-70s!) from Santa Cruz, and
I've had the chance to see both perform recently. I have a particular
fondness for Rick's fine madness, and I've had a couple of recent
opportunities to participate in it under the redwoods and in a
retired bank. Bill has always been a terrific guitarist, but I am
really knocked out by the clarity of both his playing and his
compositional process.

It was certainly a treat and an honor to finally meet Matthias after
all these years, especially in the company of Gary Hall and Larry
"the O" Oppenheimer. I started performing with the PCM-42 back in
1982 and over the years I've been privileged to become friends with
its creator and with other practitioners of the fine art of DSP-based
performance. It's great to hang out socially with the creators of
such tools and to find out they have weaknesses for such things as
Komodo dragons.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com