Re: DL4 distortion problem

Hi Cam,

My first guess is that the first DL-4 has a setting that is peaking or
otherwise has a gain noticeably higher than unity. Peaking is when filters
(such as the sweep effect on the DL-4) emphasize (amplify) a certain
frequency range. Other ways of achieving above-unity gain is by layering
several overdubs (although this is compensated in part by the DL-4's own
internal feedback level control).

In other words, the DL-4 is capable of output signals that exceed its own
input dynamic range. (This is a property - in fact a virtue - of many
effects/processor devices, not a fault of this particular design).

A solution might be to route the output of the first DL-4 through
compression/limiting if available. A second, less desirable approach is to
reduce the input signal level to the first unit (which has the drawback of
reducing signal-to-noise ratio by the same amount).

Nic