Re: EDP feedback pedal

At 04:26 AM 3/19/2002, Claude Voit wrote:
>As the faq sais I bought the boss fv50L but it never worked smooth: I
>reached 127 at 4/5 of the action wich made slight fdb moves (127 to 110
>) a complete guess work.

for a lot of people, that is perfect, because they want to be sure they
have reached 100% feedback so having some headroom at the top of the range
helps them feel more confident about it. And depending on when the EDP was
built and various hardware tolerances in the pedal and EDP, it may not
have
this much play at the end for everybody.

I suggest that boss pedal because it is pretty cheap, it seems to be
available everywhere, it's reasonably well made, and I know it works
pretty
well in every echoplex. I'm happy to add more options to that list if you
have other good suggestions.

Being able to accurately select the feedback with a pedal seemed to be
hard
no matter what pedal you used, that is why we added the nice feedback
display for Loop 4!

>had to solder a small trim pot in paralell and adjust untill full press
>was exactly 127
>so may I suggest that we revaluate the proper vol pedal model an exact
>value

feel free to suggest something.

>I still dont understand why you didnt follow the "synth controler" path
>and implement the edp with the usual EV5 (CV TRS pedal) that seems to be
>a standard (works fine for all my instruments that have a CV exp ped)

Quite a few reasons:

1. The EV5 has a dedicated cable, volume pedals don't. The EV5 cable is
flimsy and not very long. Maybe that is ok for synth players but it is not
a good option for everybody. If you are on stage 20 feet away from your
rack, you would be screwed. If the drummer drops a cymbal on the cable you
are also screwed. With a volume pedal there is just a jack so you can use
any cable you want. It's just an ordinary mono patch cord, so if it breaks
you can easily fix it at a gig.

2. There are a lot of options for volume pedals. People can choose
whatever
they want. Or they can easily use a mixer type fader or a pot mounted on
their instrument or whatever. It's easy and you still only need a mono
cable. We liked the idea of letting the user have flexibility to set
things
up how they wanted rather than being forced into a method by us.

3. We knew that most of the customers would not be keyboard players, who
seem to be the main customers of EV5 pedals. They would mostly be
guitarists and bassists and other instrumentalists who would most likely
already own at least one volume pedal. We figured it would be nice if they
could use something they had already instead of making them go into the
keyboard section of the music store where they would feel awkward and out
of place.

4. and if you really wanted to use an EV5 pedal, you could easily make/buy
an adapter plug that just brought out the tip and shield to a mono plug.
(or maybe it's ring and shield, whichever way ends up with the pedal going
the right way....)

kim