RE: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

At 4:31 PM -0400 4/9/02, Liebig, Steuart A. wrote:

>** sure, but bach and earlier composers (like vivaldi, etc.) used
>block chords for their choral music.

It makes particular sense that chorales would be largely homophonic,
making it easier for a congregation to sing and keeping florid
polyphonic complexities from obscuring the text. Of course Bach
turned even that relatively "serviceable" form into sophisticated art.

Although I think it's interesting to trace artistic developments and
say that "so-and-so" did "such-and-such" and influenced
"what's-his-face," one thing I've noticed is that creative artists
(and other thinkers) often come up with ideas that subsequently lie
fallow. Sometimes these ideas are found again and serve as
inspiration to others; sometimes they are independently invented by
others and have to be considered as precursors rather than as direct
influences. Trying to figure out which is which is part of the fun of
scholarship, and it can lead either to great aesthetic revelations or
to interminable and pointless arguments. It's not always easy to
figure out which is which.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com