why i don't use a search engine for info...

> The first thing you need to learn about is how to
> use a search engine
> to find information on the Web.

yeah, i've considerred that and use it as a source of
info, i've also considerred asking certain list
members questions off-list, but then i remembered how
many times i was poking around this list and someone
brought up something interesting that i would not have
known about and would not have looked for info
on...but because it was asked to the list, i now know
about it.  for instance...there was some really
interesting stuff on this list about creating beats
via turn-tables and a repeater which blew my mind...i
never would have found out about that stuff without
the list...

not to mention, posing questions to a list gets me
replies from people who now have familiar names.
certain people's posts have really made me respect
their knowledge base and opinions and by asking list
users specific questions, i get more of a human touch
as opposed to reading product profiles.  it is like
asking a friend about a movie as opposed to reading
the reviews.  from my experiences, professional
reviewers don't tend to have the same feelings that i
do about things.

unfortunately with lists like this, you also get tons
of wise cracks and non-serious replies to
questions...but i joined the list for a reason and not
that i need to defend myself, but what makes you
assume that i'm not getting information via search
engines as well as asking list members who obviously
have more hands on experience with these kinds of
things than i do.

and on a final note...it seems that most of you
guys/gals really like to share your knowledge (whether
for reasons of thinking that 'you da man' or because
you are actually trying to be helpful is another
discussion entirely)...

all apologies to anyone who feels that my questions
about equipment and opinions are more of a waste of
time and bandwidth for y'all than discussions about
cable directionality and what kind of car we all
drive.  being a new guy, i know how intimidating some
of you guys with all the gear and knowledge can come
across and honestly, i love seeing posts where someone
asks a basic question, because there are probably 50
or so other lurkers out there wondering the same thing
but fear getting jumped on by asking a stupid or basic
quesiton.

it's all about implied knowledge...eh?

new to looping, but not to music,
e v a n