WWWOT Re: Carillon Audio Systems (long)

>P4 with 850 (not 845) chipset
>
>800 mHz RAMBUS (not 133 SDRAM)

As I mentioned, most of the offerings are running 133 sdram - this was the
only "unbundled' one I could find that didn't. This generally a cost
cutting
effort to put P4 on the label, though the speed benefits are doubtful and a
133 sdram motherboard will be un-upgradeable and stuck in the dark ages in
less than 6 months.

>2 new Seagate hard drives in QuietPC enclosures, 5 year warranty
>
>dual-monitor video card
>Carillon AC-1 kick-ass drop-dead gorgeous rack-mount chassis, built like
the proverbial brick sh*t house. The chassis alone would sell for >$500, or
$199 less than the Marathon rack-mount Mac chassis, which is no where near
as nice, cool, or sexy. And our chassis is so quiet you >won't even know
it's turned on unless you look at the screen.

Yes, this is very nice. I can appreciate a machine built from the ground
up.

>5000 (!) professionally recorded (through a Neve) samples convertted to 24
bit digital though Apogee AD8000 converters, and the application >(Loop
Station) to audition them, choose the ones you like, and drop them right
into your application for immediate use. This feature alone is >worth over
$500.

Or you could pick up the Decker 10,000 samples for 30 bucks - definitely
worth the price, if you are into samples. Without know who did the
sampling,
and what they sample , it's hard to know what this is worth, and especially
if it the bulk are musically relevant to the end user. The site says :
"sound content is subjective, so check out a selection on this website" ut
couldn't find the samples >anywhere< on the site.

>Emagic Zap file compression utility
>Cakewalk Pyro CD/MP3 burning software

Bundleware doesn't turn me on much. Zap compression lost it's appeal since
it's not that much better
than winrar with the multimedia extension turned on, there are better
freeware lossless compression technology available now. Besides, I've never
seen anyone use it. Do people use it?

As far as Cakewalk's "Pyrocy" software - there are a ton of other offering
available. Cheap, or free.

>Carillon Help, application-specific, as HTML code right on the hard rive
for instant access (no need for Adobe Acrobat)
>Carillon How software, as above
>Carillon Fix Virtual On-Site software allowing for remote troubleshooting
and repair over the internet or phone line. Nortin charges $99 for their
>equivalent, known as PC Anywhere.

But you can use norton anywhere you want, not just to have a technician go
through your files.  (BTW the free win2k terminal server is much easier to
use than Norton's as long as you
are networked and running win2k server)

>3 year warranty. Apple charges $249 for this.
>
>Tech Support provided by actual musicians familiar with your application -
priceless.

I don't know. Sales support provided by actual musicians at guitar center
leaves a lot to be desired :> I think I'm becoming very skeptical regarding
support options on my old age, but I'm sure it would be of use to the
average user.

>Let's add it up...

>Dell P4 in plain-vanilla chassis - $899
>Carillon rack chassis - $500
>Loop Station - $500
>Emagic Zap, Cakewalk Pyro - $79
>Virtual OnSite service app - $99
>3 year warranty - $249
>
>total - $2326
>
>comparable rack-mounted 2 gHz G4 PowerMac - $3699!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should compare oranges to oranges and not apples :> Macs are
totally overpriced. So are Dells, for that matter - I wouldn't buy one
myself, though I'm sitting here surrounded by them, waiting for them to
finsih processing as we speak :> Dells also come with full tech support.
You
can't
order them without it, even if you don't want it.

I agree. This is a primo machine, and probably worth the extra $1000 for
how
it's put together. But it does cost more than the competition (not Dell,
and
Apple though)
I could put one together for considerably less but most people probably
couldn't, and would appreciate the tech support. It looks like a great
product. If don't have cash and time to spare though, there are other
options.

bIz