RE: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

Title: RE: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

evan et al,

this issue is always gonna create some friction.

i think the problem is that one person's "musicality" can be another person's "lame-ass crap."

someone can think that he/she is exploring interesting new sonic frontiers or methods of musical creation and another will think that it's just mindless wanking.

also, my reading of the initial post leads me to feel that there are two contradictory wishes: one is that evan wants people to really "delve" into the gear in a "meaningful way," two is that he felt bummed when he saw people "twiddling knobs" - - which sounds a lot like people delving into their gear and "playing it like an instrument." maybe they are doing it, but the results don't work for you (?).

i usually come down on the side of less tech (tho' i am the pedal king), but i'm intrigued by what people do with it: if it works, it works. i also need to keep in mind that it can come down to what the artist's intent is, maybe it doesn't align with my insterests. (fer instance, people on this list may all ooh and aah over something that i think is uninteresting, and they may think that what i do is shite.)

it seems to me that some people are incredibly lo-tech and it works (for you), some are and it doesn't; some people are incredibly hi-tech and it works, some are and it doesn't. in my opinion the only lesson that can be learned is that some stuff works (for you) and some doesn't . . . and it could change from week to week down to minute to minute.

i guess it could come down to going to shows and deciding if one likes the music or not  - - without putting a more judgemental "it's music/it isn't music" spin on it. the process of deciding what works for you is cool, but i'm not sure that putting an absolute of what is and isn't is always constructive.

stig