Re: Musicality, gear traps, and mud

On Tuesday, April 23, 2002, at 08:40 PM, Emile Tobenfeld (a.k.a Dr. T) wrote:
I ofttimes think the biggest trap in the gear business is the temptation to spring for a new piece of gear instead of working better with what you have. This hits hard for me, as I juggle two demanding artforms (music and video), a demanding, (albeit interesting) day gig, and the rest of my life. However, context matters -- to my own (admittedly biased) ears, my music took a quantum leap for the better after purchasing a Nord Mod last year.

Amen to that brother. I tend to fall into that one myself. I also tend to, because of monetary considerations, end up buying what I can afford at the time, rather than what I really want. I forgo the better for the immediate. While sometimes frustrating, I also sometimes find cool stuff that can be done when pushing the gear past what it's designed to do. More importantly, I'M UP AND RUNNING. So, I might not have "the best and greatest" but I'm out in the world playing. That's important. Also, I've realized that I'm just damn inspired by in interesting piece of gear, as I am with a good instrument. I'd go as far as to say there's no difference between my guitar and my rack. It's all part of the system that has become my instrument. I'm not even sure where I end and it begins anymore either.

Yesterday I watched our pal Rick Walker play a show. One of the pieces was him JUST TWEAKING KNOBS while the soloist (a flute) played. It was damn good, and I challenge ANYONE on this list to say it wasn't musical, or that Rick is capable of being anything but musical.

Mark Sottilaro

We know others to the extent that we know ourselves.