Re: delay question / Vortex?

----- Original Message -----
From: <SoundFNR@aol.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 5:08 AM
Subject: Re: delay question / Vortex?

> Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com writes:
>
> > i've been looping with deja vu, messing with the feedback settings. i'm
> > liking it, it's
> >  seamless enough for me, and i like having a smaller loop area to work
with
> > since it forces me
> >  to try harder to get something cool going for that second or whatever.
the
> > problem is my
> >  loops are not as loud as the original sound. is that normal? i've only
had
> > little time to
> >  experiment, but the loops seem to automatically drop in level a little
> just
> > after i pull the
> >  fader down on the channel that's feeding the vortex. i'm used to stuff
> that
> > keeps the same
> >  volume, is this because of the envelope functions?

You might try coming out of the alt/3-4 outputs into the Vortex then return
in stereo to the board. I use my Mackie 12 vlz like this with good results.
IMO, the Vortex need to be 100% wet.

> In deja vu B (the looper preset) you can turn down
> MOD FX LVL and the original sound will disappear.

A footpedal is wonderful for sweeping parameters. I made one out of a cheap
volume pedal by converting the output to a stereo jack. I get the full 1-64
sweep but a real expresion pedal may be better.

> >  snip

everything i read about the vortex suggests it's got a learning curve and
> > has to be tamed.
> >  i'm cool with that i'm just trying to get the hang of it so i can use
it
> for
> > a couple of
> >  (very soon) loop heavy shows. any insight and tricks appreciated,
thanks!

Andys site is a way cool place to start for quick and useful patches!

> print out that manual at once, or at least the pages with
> the FX diagrams.

> and write down any good patches you find!
> (or you'll regret it)
> ...you can even share patches on my "database"

Absolutly!

> search LD archives for the famed
> Dual Looper patch
> and there's even a delay with pitch mod
>
> most of this stuff was 1998-1999
>

> Andy Butler
> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/soundfnr/vortex.htm">Lexicon Vortex
Database
> </A>

Finally a footpedal is essential to realize the Vortexs morphing
capabilities. That is where it lives!

peace, jeff