Headphones

As for the ongoing headphone discussion:

I do own (and use) both a pair of AKG K270 and K400 headphones.

The K270:
I went shopping for a set of hi-fi headphones quite some time ago (15 years
perhaps), and compared quite a lot of the usual stuff in A/B sessions
listening to different material from Abba via Messiaen to Zorn. In the end,
there were only two companies present in my price range which didn't got
thrown out at first sight: AKG and Sennheiser. At that time I was looking
at
an AKG K240 and a Sennheiser something (about same price range). That's
when
one of the salespersons told me he just got a new model by AKG and wheter
I'd like to check this out, although it left my defined price range (then
<200DM, with the AKG K270 at DM230). The K270 blew all other competitors
away with regard to sound quality, even imho excelling some of the cheaper
Stax models (priced around DM900). I use them still, and they still sound
great. Btw, these are two-way headphones! Downsides: They are extremely
bulky (even more so than a K240), so when wearing them for a long time at
tilted head positions, your neck might ache, and most probably your ears
will be drained in sweat. They're closed headphones, remember? They offer
quite effective sonic insulation, but are not that loud (compared to the
Sennheiser DJ models), so be sure to get a decent headphone amp when using
them in "hostile" environment.

The K400:
I got this when the hifi shop where I'd bought some goodies at throwout
prices (like the Empire ID600 system for my Thorens record player) had it
on
offer for DM170. These headphones are the kicks! Half-closed design,
extremely clean and at the same time rich sound, superior carrying confort,
and even a tad bit louder than the K270. They have become my main
headphones, resorting to the K270 only when I really need the closed
characteristics.

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de