Re: May 1 Blackout at EarthLight Studios

I believe there is a misunderstanding here. This is not how I read it. I
believe the AFM is saying that, people should get used to the blackout
idea
because without financial compensation, no one will write anymore.

I particularly point to this quote:

"Most recording musicians are not rich or glamorous," continued Lee. "What
they are is enormously talented and enormously under-compensated in
relation
to the value of their work. For decades, musicians struggled to make a
decent living while commercial broadcasters built a hugely profitable
industry based on using their creations for free. Congress was right when
it
changed the law to ensure that the Internet streaming industry would not
be
built on the same faulty basis. Recording musicians need and deserve to be
paid when their work is exploited on the Web and that is what the recent
arbitration decision setting a digital performance royalty rate is really
all about."

What this does say is that the recording industry does have faults, and
that
the internet broadcasters will not recreate these faults. However, he
still
says that musicians need and deserve to be paid for their work when it is
used on the web.

To reinforce this, another direct quote:
"When the streaming pauses on May 1," urged Lee, "stop and think about
life
without musicians. Fifty percent of the new digital performance royalty
payments will go directly to musicians and vocalists. Without these new
income streams, recording musicians won't be able to afford to make the
wonderful recordings we all crave to hear."

Notice the last sentence.

So even though the AFM says the welcome this day of silence, please
realize
that it may be sarcasm or for reasons contrary to why you are doing this.

May I remind you that I am not affiliated with the AFM anymore. If anyone
affiliated with them would help to clarify the issue, please feel free to.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I recognize and fully understand your
reason to blackout. I just want to ensure that this debate has accurate
facts from BOTH sides.

J. Sawruk