Re: OT -- USB audio interfaces

     I have heard many mixed reviews of the USB audio interfaces. It is
very
good that someone using the Tascam has replied. It's really dependant on
what
one's needs are. From what I understand, the USB interfaces will only
allow 2
ins & 2 outs simlutaneously. This will actually be quite fine for many
live
performance situations. If you only needed to record one stereo track at a
time, then you woud be fine on the recording side too. I don't know if
there
are any monitoring latency issues to deal with though. A big plus to the
Tascam is the fact that it has the 8 user assignable faders. Make sure
that
your software will work with any interface you want to buy. I think that
the
USB interfaces are mostly focused on ASIO applications for now. I am also
wondering if any of the current USB interfaces will be upwardly compatible
with the newer USB 2.0 spec.
     A very important question is, how much CPU power does the particular
interface you are interested in take to run? On paper, it looks like the
best
interface available for Laptops is the RME Multiface. They claim that they
are transparent to the CPU. They also allow the user to send ASIO out
ports
1&2, GSIF out ports 3&4, MME out 5&6... (port assignments are not fixed).
The
RME is more expensive than the MOTU 828, but less expensive than the 896.
>From using a MOTU 2408 on a PC, I feel that the MOTU is really meant for
Mac setup. As previously mentioned, the standard price for the 828 is
$699.00, but I have seen it for $679.00 at MIDI Classics. Most retailers
are
selling The Echo Layla and Mona Laptop interfaces for $799.00, but they
can
be purchased from 8thStreet for $695.00.
     I just purchased an Echo Audio Layla24 Laptop interface. I actually
wanted to buy an RME Multiface, but none were available. From talking to a
dozen or so retailers (US), it looked like it would be a month or two
before
anyone would have one in stock. So when they become available again, I
might
trade-in my Layla for a Multiface. I might also find that I am perfectly
happy with the Layla.
     Marc