Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V02 #324

Jim Fowler wrote:

>now, from everything i've read, i'd love to be NEAR
>san francisco but not IN the city.  i've read that
>berkeley, oakland, etc. aren't significantly cheaper
>(i'll be renting...obviously).

I thought San Francisco was great while I lived there. It has a great
public
transportation system, and there are all sorts of interesting things going
on. Plenty of places that aren't too downtowny feeling. It never gets too
hot, and it rarely gets too cold. The problems are that there's no
parking,
the artsy neighborhoods are also the crack-buying districts, and yeah,
it's
pretty expensive.

Oakland is about $200 cheaper per month for a room, and the parking is
easier to find. Approximately 60% of Oakland is slummy, gang-infested
neighborhoods, but the other 40% is great! (I live on a pretty quiet
street
a few blocks away from a man-made lake.) Berkeley is the same except when
you get near the university. Public transit is doable in the east bay, but
nothing runs after midnight.

Daly City is just south of SF, and I don't know a soul who likes living
there.

>so what about places like petaluma and places that may
>be no more than 2 hours away?  i would imagine that
>the prices would drop by the time your an hour out.

Petaluma and Santa Rosa are both about an hour north of the city. (Santa
Rosa is a bigger, cleaner city and is just a tad bit norther than
petaluma.)
>From my experience, apartments up there cost the same as in Oakland and
Berkeley. Most of the musicians I've known up there didn't stay there,
they
wound up in SF instead. If you don't do country or teenage punk, for the
most part nobody's interested up there. Honestly, I loved living in Santa
Rosa when I moved there from Massachusetts, but now that I've lived in San
Francisco and Oakland, I don't think I'll ever go back there.

There are cities in the far east bay like Concord, Walnut Creek and
Pleasanton. Rent's probably cheaper, lots of apartments were built there
within the last 10 years because of the whole dot com craziness. They're a
lot closer to the bay area (in fact, they're all on the bart lines), but
they have virtually no culture of your own.