OT: Drum machine eprom question..

I'm not an electronic genius or programmer,
just a dabbler and a power user...
But.....
Could anyone tell me why it is so difficult or why
there are never any techniques mentioned for exchanging
the sample rom chips in dedicated drum machines ?
I've heard about eprom burners....is the sample data always
very proprietary on different boxes, or is it just memory at
a specific data rate and sample rate stuck on a  memory chip ?
EI...I've got an old Yamaha RX11 that is a great machine but
with a very dated soundset.....  is it totally not worth the effort
to try to "burn your own" eproms ?  Anybody have any
expertise in this area....?
Curious in Memphis........
--
gary