Re: OT Frampton, Fripp and Stevie Ray

>Then you have records like Let's Dance, which is
>listenable almost solely due to the playing of a
>then unknown guitarist named Stevie Ray Vaughan.
>Nile Rodgers (who produced that album) now admits
>that he told David that if he wanted bad ass
>blues guitar, he should at least get someone like
>Albert King, that people have at least heard of,
>instead of an unknown. Apparently, Nile needed a
>little more convincing than Bowie did.

Agree on your various (snipped) Frampton comments.
The outstanding track on the Let's Dance album for me
was China Girl and particularly Stevie Ray's solo.  (Mmm.)

>I need to get Heroes out again and give it a
>listen. Likewise for Lodger (which Belew played
>on). Anyone ever heard the live album that Bowie
>did around that time, Stage? How is it? I know
>both Belew and Hawkwind violinist Simon House are
>on it. Can you actually TELL they're on it,
>though?

Good question - Stage has a 'live' sound so much of the
instrumentation IS blurred into a massive wall of sound.
(It also has synth guy Roger Powell). Sides 3&4 (Disc 2
on the CD) are all from Low & Heroes and closes with a
rocking and rollicking version of Beauty The Beast. (Also Mmm.)

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to
ambientelectronicsoundscapes