Re: The Best Live Drum Machine

Right, if you're looking to program your own sounds, forget anything
Roland, I agree.  On the other hand, there's such a variety of sounds on
board, I've yet to even feel the need for editing the sounds.  The Korg
stuff is solid, but I rely too much on odd time signatures, and I feel
it's a crime to not have built in that functionality.

But this brings up a point that I still kind of fight.  I used to spend
hours doing sound design.  Tweaking my Korg DW8000 or Roland Juno 106
until the cows came home.  While it was great fun, I started to realize
how much time it took away from me actually playing.  Sure, if I was
independently wealthy, and didn't have to put time into maintaining a
relationship and having a social life, I'd be all over sound design.
Something had to go, and that was it.  Luckily, there's some really
great gear with huge libraries of sounds.  When I bought my Roland
XV-5050, it took me weeks to fill my preset bank with the 128 sounds I
liked.  Sure, I did tweak them all a little, but not building them from
scratch, that's for sure.

One day, when I retire I'll buy what ever knob ridden monstrosity exists
at the time, and tweak tweak tweak, but until then, I've got to get some
actual playing in.  I'll conceder the people at Roland my collaborators
until then.

Mark Sottilaro