Re: The Best Live Drum Machine

>  > What are your favorite drum machines and why?

I'm currently following the RAID method (Redundant Array of
Inexpensive Drummachines): A Roland MC303 driving an ER-1 and a Nord
Micromodular, and the occasional drum loop stored in the Repeater.
It's really flexible to have drum/percussion sounds coming from a lot
of sources, it gives a lot of possibilities to layer and process
sounds.

The Nord may not be your first thought as a drum machine, but it's
pretty great: step sequencers that can be combined to make patterns
of any length (Why do so many drum machines just allow you to do 4/4
or 3/4?! If the ER-1 allowed odd time sigs, it'd be my favorite), and
a really flexible, totally programmable sound generator. I have a
collection of patches that do drum/percussion sounds and patterns, if
anyone's interested.
Dave Trenkel                                New and Improv Music
http://www.newandimprov.com         improv@peak.org