Re: Loopers-Delight-d Digest V02 #340

"Dave Trenkel" <improv@peak.org> put forth:

> >I wish someone would ask him about working with
> >Thin Lizzy. Oh come on!!! After defending
> >Frampton, you HAD to know that I was gonna bring
> >that up! :-) Seriously, the only time I've ever
> >heard Visconti talk about working with Thin Lizzy
> >was a short article in GP a couple years where he
> >basically claimed that the only things that
> >weren't overdubbed on Live And Dangerous (long
> >considered by myself to be one of the all time
> >great live albums) were the drums and audience
> >noise. So much for "live albums".
>
> Your wish is granted in the TapeOP interview. Visconti says the disc
> is 20% live, 80% overdubbed. He talks in some detail about the
> sessions. I guessthey didn't intend to do so many overdubs, it all
> started with Lynott redoing his bass parts and snowballed from there.
> Some of the tracks were recorded at soundchecks, so they even had to
> overdub the audience!

I think the most infamous overdubbed "live" album had to have been "Queen
Live".  It was not only overdubbed, but claimed to use "no synthesizers and
no tapes" on the liner notes.  It's obvious during a listen that tapes of
Freddie Mercury's voice are used for items like "Bohemian Rhapsody" (and
obvious that they'd have to be used in such a situation, if not a choir!);
the thing that drives the nails home on this one is that the taped portions
sound in the mix like they're being monitored from the back of the hall, as
well as attenuated down from the rest of the vocals.

It was a bit like a schoolboy announcing before he reads his theme that
"this is completely original!", before starting off with, "Four score and
seven years ago..."

Stephen P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*