RE: Pay attention

Mark Hamburg wrote:
Note that my original phrasing and the phrasing for this thread was/is "pay
attention" not "watch". I don't really care whether people watch me.
Watching the video from Loopstock confirmed for me that I pretty much
completely failed to look at the audience. I wish I had looked at the
audience more, but that's a different issue.
<snip>
Looking at the audience is like trying to run the drum machine while you
play your instrument--it's one more thing to do that can only take your
concentration away from playing your instrument.  Unfortunately, most
sighted human beings process sensation with the inclusion of visual
stimulus.  Even the best musicians want to look at SOMETHING to help them
concentrate on the sound.  And most folks can only follow your "noise" by
watching you make it.  If then . . .
I don't have the answer on this one but I am reminded of an old joke
involving a mule and a two by four.  The punch line is, "First you have to
get his attention."
Gary