Re: Repeater vs EDP (what I like about the Repeater)

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 12:42 AM, Andre LaFosse wrote:

>  timestretching in particular is an intriguing
> proposition to me.

(BTW - your points were really good. Why do I feel like I'm getting a
mature slap in the face at times :)

The timestretching feature is incredible. Using another looper to take
over the rhythmic part of the piece, try switching the BPM down to one.
Route the looper through some sort of effects unit - just to fill out
the noise as it becomes a little low quality at this speed... The
harmonics are amazing! Very beautiful ambient, morphing drones. Its the
same with vocals....

The pitch shift feature is great, and would be better if I could find a
bass organ midi floorboard to operate it with. Being able to change the
key of the loops whilst in 'bounce' mode is pretty inspiring. However,
intervals greater than a 5th do degrade. If you want a true octave
sound, go through an effects box.

My gripes with the Midi implementation might be a little biased. I agree
that with the correct hardware (intelligent Midi controllers and lots of
pedals), you could have an amazing level of control - however, I'm on a
limited budget and currently only have access to an FC200. Its
frustrating that I can only use 50% of the features hands-free :(

The loop extending feature is the reason why I purchased a Repeater.
Basically, my rhythm sucks (it is non-existent), so a way to get around
this is to record a short loop with a single attack, and extend that to
16/32/64/128/256 beats - a kind of organic metronome.
And also, being able to mix four tracks live is incredible.... The unit
has many more features/tricks that I am only just beginning to stumble
upon.

I *DO* love my Repeater.... :) and yes, I'm too much of a moaning
perfectionist :)

--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com