Re: ambient then rhythmic?

Kim wrote:

>Substitute is another new function in LoopIV, and is
also unavailable in
>any other looper. Substitute is similar to replace,
except the current
>audio in the loop doesn't disappear while you are
playing the new bit. You
>still hear the existing stuff as you play, which can
be very useful for
>maintaining the feel, or giving a sense of continuity
to the listener. Then
>on the *next* repetition, the old stuff is gone and
only the new stuff
>remains in the period where the Substitute was done.
The result is like
>Replace, but getting there has a feeling of evolving
rather than the more
>jarring and sudden action of Replace.

Actually, Kim, the Repeater can perform this function
as well.  If you keep the Repeater in Overdub mode and
set Feedback to 0%, you will hear the original loop
material during overdubbing, but it will be completely
replaced by new material on the next pass.  The
Repeater also can be set to Replace, where current
material is muted during the overdub.  The Repeater
will not, however, automatically quantize your
overdubs, as the EDP will when using Substitute with
Quantize=8th.

I admit that, after hearing Andre's recent material, I
began to wonder if I hadn't made the wrong decision in
purchasing a Repeater instead of an EDP.  After
further thought, though, I realized that I haven't
spent sufficient time with the Repeater to fully
explore how I can use its unique capabilities to
produce a sound that's MINE, rather than a cheap
second-rate copy of Andre's (or DT's, or anyone
else's).  So off I go in search of my sound.  If I
make it back, maybe I'll even post the strange goodies
I found on my journey for public consumption. =)

Later,
Scott

=====
Scott Martin
coirbidh_99@yahoo.com

You can't make me think like you, mundane
-Incubus