Re: News from Swirlee

Title: Re: News from Swirlee
From swirlee@hotmail.com

hey everyone--

congrats to matthias, kim, and eric on their development and release
of the echoplex digital IV tardis sonic ripplemaker and
tzolkin-follower (www.aurisis.com) . i wish i had one to play with.

we have also had the pleasure of hosting giba from brazil in a duo
with steve sandberg. giba is very gifted with rhythm and drum. through
the doorway opened by this music and dancing, people were healed.
that's what has been said. so thank you!

meanwhile, here is our evolution update-
\
musical instrument,
dogon listening device:

me and eddie have been working on the listening device, using our
voices (whistles, beatboxes, gurgles, etc) to improvise and loop time.

there are now audio streams up on our website detailing our
sexperiments:

http://www.cloud9.net/~jpekau/tp

the listening device allows us to freeze phrases of improvised
material and retrigger them using the keyboard. different phrases can
be locked together through time axes, which provide a basic quantized
meter for the piece. the goal is to blur and dissolve the lines
between improvisation and structure, where the structure rises
spontaneously and fluidly out of the channel. we simultaneously direct
the flow of the groove and improvise new grooves. thus, we redesign
time as art.

if you would like to play with the listening device, please email me.
you will need a linux computer, and a bit of willpower.

once we secure more funding, we will be improving the user interface
to allow multiple shamans to jam together, triggering each other's
vocalizations. we would like to create playable playground structures
for kids of all ages.

since previous notice, we can now:

- erase previous loops
- volume adjust running loops
- volume adjust globally
- quantize to multiple time axes

world domination:

- saving sets of phrases to disk
- sync to external time axes
- independent pitch and tempo shifting
- building larger phrases using triggered improvisations of smaller
phrases (codename: fractal hierarchy doohicky)

now, the focus is back to singing and dancing. we hope to experiment
in collaboration with steve sandberg, ragapop shaman, and with ritual
intention, group chanting, touch, at times using the listening device
and other loopy tools to carve little tunnels to worlds calling out to
human heart.

see you in the dreamtime, gnawa-ii.