Re: Mail Order Source for DL4?

Hi Mark,

> Huh, I'm not sticking up for zZounds or Musician's Friend, but I've done
> a bunch of business with zZounds, and have always found them to be
> pretty good, as opposed to Musician's Friend, which is usually
> befuddled.  One of the things I like about both companies, is that they
> let you purchase something, then if you don't like the way it sounds or
> works with your system, you can return it.  NO QUESTIONS ASKED.  Maybe
> someone bought your two DL4s and found that they needed something higher
> end and purchased an Echoplex or Repeater instead.  My point here is,
> how could they do this (at no charge to the trier) and then sell what
> would be a unit in perfect condition to someone else, and take a loss?
> I honestly think you're kidding yourself about getting a "Factory sealed
> box"  If you get a unit that's in 100% working order with a
> manufacturer's warrentee, be happy and stop giving your retailer a hard
> time.

I agree that online music stores are in a bind when they have a "no
questions asked" 30-day return policy.  I understand that taking a loss
on every returned unit would probably put them out of business.  And
that they have no choice but to allow returns because all the other
retailers allow them.  However, what I don't like is being told one thing
(that I *would* get a factory sealed unit the second time) and then
receiving another opened unit.  Deception is not something I want to
support.  Also, according to the guy I talked to yesterday, "all returned
items that are opened become B-stock units and should not be shipped out
as new."  Obviously that is exactly what they are doing, but the guy is
telling me a different story (more deception).

By the way, I purchased my Zoom PS02 from zZounds and I had no problems,
which is why I took my business back to them.  But after dealing with
them this time I'll never do it again...

> I purchased a Korg Groove processor from zZounds, and I DID NOT LIKE
> IT.  It just wasn't doing what I hoped it would do, and I don't think
> there would have been any way I could have discovered that in a store.
> I sent it back in 100% condition.  It might be a great unit for someone
> else, but not for me.  I did the same with a Lexicon MPX500.  Both items
> I'd have no problem selling as "new".  No scratches or wear, but not
> "Factory sealed."   You can't expect a nice refund policy and to always
> get a factory sealed box.  You can't have it both ways, it's just not
> realistic.  Scratch and dents are another story...

Since I never return things that are not broken, I'm not trying to have
it both ways.  I do a lot of research before I buy things and therefore
I know what I want before I make the purchase.  Not to get too
philosophical here, but the real problem is that the "try before you
buy" shopping strategy is best suited to your local music store, not
to online merchants.  In your local store everyone can play with the
*one* demo model and, if they like it, they buy the factory sealed unit
in the back room.  Local music stores can afford to take a loss on one
demo unit--but online stores would have to take a loss on thousands of
demo units which they can't afford.  So the real fault is ours--we
want to save a few bucks therefore we don't go to our local dealer and
we create this poor business model that requires online retailers to
send us non-factory-sealed units.  (Or even worse, we go to our local
dealer to try out the unit and *then* we buy from an online merchant.)

So, I suppose I should take my own advice and buy from a local dealer
if I can find one that carries Line 6 products--it may not be possbile
up here in the wilds of New Hampshire but I'll try...

Well, since I assume you treat your equipment well, I wouldn't have
any problem buying something that *you* tried out and didn't like.  But
I don't know who played with these units.  Was it someone who overloaded
the inputs and caused some damage I can't hear right now but will show
up later (after the warranty expires)?  I know this is stretching
things, but I still feel I have a right to get what I paid for: a *new*
unit.

My real concern is that almost every company that sells effects seems
to have very poor support.  I've heard stories about units taking
months to be repaired, or even being sent back after repair and not
working.  I'm trying to avoid this as much as possible by getting a
unit that's brand new.  Then, if it fails it is either my fault or
Line 6's, not some unknown person who used it for 3 weeks and then
returned it.

Cheers,

Keith