Re: The RIAA are a bunch of commies

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre LaFosse" <altruist@earthlink.net>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 03:04 AM
Subject: Re: The RIAA are a bunch of commies

> SG and DT were saying:

> > > maybe.
> >
> > Maybe?  Not to be too difficult Senor Torn, but as you're already
>fairly
> > embedded in the music industry and enjoying its relative benefits of
> > exposure and other work being done on your behalf -
>
> I have to interject here, and say that the comment about work being done
> "on [his] behalf" is a fairly substantial disservice to David, who is
> one of the most jaw-droppingly proactive and hard-working people I've
> ever known.  I think there's a bit of an implication in the comment
> above that David's all set, and just sort of sits around whilst the
> mechanics of "the music industry" spin automatically on his behalf to
> promote and parlay opportunities for him... which couldn't be further
> from the truth.

I never attempted to say that he's some encapsulated Rock Star Type.
That's
a rude and stupid thing, and, indeed, couldn't be further from the truth.
My intent wasn't to imply that 'everything' is done for him.  He's had an
"in", and has benefitted from a degree of association with the Biz.  It
might be a bit nasty-sounding so I apologize in that case.

My saying this wasn't by definition a criticism.

> > as opposed to a most artists -
>
> Here again, this potentially implies that David has taken a different
> route than most other *working professionals*, which from what I know of
> his career is absolutely not the case.  We're talking about someone
> who's been getting in the proverbial (and often literal) van for about
> thirty years, playing out, hitting the road, diversifying his skills and
> sources of income, and building a name for himself through DECADES of
> very hard work - which continues to this very day.

"most artists" usually equals "those without contracts, operating on their
own, no lawyers, no agent, and not much money."