Re: The RIAA are a bunch of commies

herr goodman,

though you responded to the following, it was definitely *not* me who said
it; i believe that might have been chris r.???? (kohntarkos)

>> >If CARP ends up
>> >pushing all non-commerical broadcasting off the
>> >web, I think we end up losing in the wrong run.
>> maybe.

>Maybe?  Not to be too difficult Senor Torn, but as you're already fairly
>embedded in the music industry

even though, again, you were responding to what someone else said:
that seems a bit naive, stephen --- i am far from being 'embedded in the
music industry', though i do 'know people who know people'.
*-)
i'm certainly lightyears farther from 'embedded' than brian eno;
i have no hired-in public relations firm, no record company backing.
by necessity, i *do* have a lawyer, to whom i am deeply grateful for his
candor, insight & firmly ethical stance.
recently, too, i have employed a personal manager.

>and enjoying its relative benefits of
>exposure and other work being done on your behalf -

again, that seems pretty naive. very little work is done on my behalf:
most
of it having been done by me, for the past -what?- 35 years? eek.....
i've never had the 'benefit' of a record company paying-off comm'l. radio
play my material, nor has a record company ever seriously employed a p.r.
company for me;
historically, the record-company either:
a) wasn't like that, b) didn't see that option as cost-effective or c)
simply
didn't have the dosh.
(add'ly, for background: i've never been signed to a 'major', and none of
my
recording deals have been 'long-term': thankfully!).

>as opposed to a most
>artists - please remember that we have all been given a canvas to work
>upon - broadcasting, which has been under a music biz stranglehold until
>now - via the Internet.  Are you saying that taking this away from us
>could
>have a positive benefit for us?  Please elaborate (and I say this with
>the most sincere interest in what you have to say).

what i *did* try to say in *my* email was simply this:
musical artists should get paid for what they do, with-or-without the
internet.

best,
dt / s-c