Re: Panning pedal?

Stuart,

In a message dated 6/24/02 12:22:26 AM, stuart@solostring.com writes:

>On the subject of volume pedals/preamps, is there such thing as a good
>panning pedal? I have an idea to record stereo on the Repeater, but
>control the panning of the instrument in realtime with something like
>this connected before the stereo inputs. This would then get me over the
>problem of the pan settings on the repeater being reset every time you
>delete a loop/move to a new one - and also prevent me from having to
>purchase 4 roland volume pedals at the same time :)

A long time ago I used to use a Morley Panning/Volume pedal (it could
switch between either mode with a simple footswitch). Very useful.
But it was bulky . . . one of those big, old chome behemoths . . . built
like a tank and nearly as heavy. I think they're still making something
like it (only smaller and painted black these days) maybe not. They
can't be too expensive used fi you can find one. Very reliable too.

FWIW, now I have a bank of 4 very generic Roland/Boss EV-5 control
voltage pedals. 2 of them control the "morphing" on my 2 Lexicon
Vortexes . . . but depending on the preset I'm in on my preamp/
multi-effect box (in my case an ancient, ugly ART SGX-2000
Express . . . yes one of the ones with the stoopid pink paint job)
either of the 2 remaining EV-5s can be a panning pedal . . . or a volume
pedal . . . or a wah, wah . . . or a "wammy" pedal . . . at any time
that I want one. Or, it can control the mod rate on a chorus . . .
the regen/feedback on a delay or flanger . . . the wet/dry mix on a
reverb or an outboard effects send . . . you get the idea.

If you have a MIDI capable multi-effector some where in the chain
take a look at the rest of your setup and see if there is some place
on some device in the chain where you can get CV access and MIDI
control can enter the picture. In my case it was via an old  Roland
GR-1 guitar synth which has 2 ports for "expression" pedals. Or
much simpler, do it with MIDI to begin with from any one of a number
of expression pedal equipped MIDI pedalboards available.

Sorry for rambling on . . .

Ted Killian