RE: Loop IV: Synchronization is awesome

At 12:03 AM 6/25/2002, Si Butler wrote:
>I'm interested in using the EDP in a rhythm section to layer funk
>grooves. How easy is it to get everything locked on a nice tight 2 bar
>segment?

I think it is pretty easy. It depends on your circumstances a bit, as it
would with any looper.

In LoopIV you have the ability to preset a Tempo before recording the loop
and then record a loop exactly to that BPM. There are some options to fine
tune this and retrigger the start point if you need to, for the EDP
version
of turntable beat matching. This may be what you are looking for.

Also there are new triggering options that make it simple to retrigger a
loop. Sometimes in a band situation what you really need is a quick way to
retrigger your loop to line it up with the down beat again. It is a sort
of
"manual sync" but I've often found it to be the most useful. We gave some
easy options for this in LoopIV.

If you are otherwise using midi clock, then you are totally set. the sync
functions of LoopIV are excellent in that case and you have many
possibilities to get a tight groove locked in. Things like ReAlign and
SyncRecord will do a lot for you there.

>Does the new software extend the quantization capabilities?

yes. You can quantize to the cycle point as before, or the new options of
quantizing to the 8th note or quantizing to the overall loop startpoint.
When it quantizes to 8th note, it really quantizes to a subdivision of the
loop based on the parameter called 8ths/cycle. This can be set to
anything,
so this quantization could just as easily be quarter notes or 16ths or
sevens or whatever.

>Do
>I need to be lightning fast with the footpedal or does the loop IV s/w
>help determine the correct length of the loop?

We've always tried to maintain both approaches. For those who want tight
rhythm there are many functions that allow the EDP to maintain very tight
grooves and take care of all the precision for you. Or you can be totally
free and do things whenever you want. Loop always gave you the choice,
LoopIV gives you even more.

For you, things like sync, quantizing, rounding, and triggering will
probably be what you want for a more groove oriented approach.

kim