Re: I know, I'll start a war!

> What are you looping when you are stereo looping?

Sometimes I'll set up a stereo mic pair.  I'll play a shaker or singing
bowl
and shift my playing position to control the panning.  So I use stereo
looping when I want to control the sound animation as I play the
instrument.

Sometimes I'll set up a quad looper with four mics.  The mics are all
pointed to a common center.  I play a signing bowl at the center spot so
you
hear the rubbing stick (punja?) circling around the quad speakers.  You
know, the ole"listener in the bowl" illusion?  ("Wish I was a Kellogg's
Cornflake, Floatin' in my bowl takin' movies...")

It's not stereo or quad looping but sometimes I'll experiment with a quad
set-up that uses three independent loops.  Two loops rotate around the quad
speakers at different speeds, generally in the same direction (CW) but that
can be changed as with the rotation speed, too.  When the position of the
two sounds coincide, the third loop is triggered for one playback cycle.

This leads to many variations depending on the loop contents.  Some
examples:
1) Use two vehicles for the rotating loops and a crash sound for the third.
2) Use a clock (tick-tock) and snoring for the rotating loops and an alarm
for the third.
3) Use two sets of footsteps for the rotating loops (male and female) and
either a kiss or slap for the third.

Remember, "It's a fine line between clever and stupid."

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com