Re: looping other people...

At 6:14 PM +0100 7/1/02, Steve Lawson wrote:
>I did the recently with vibraphonist Orphy Robinson - I ran his MALLET KAT
>MIDI vibes thingie into my loop set up, and tweaked away - it was great
>fun,
>and when we play live, I'm thinking of having a line from the MALLET KAT
>into my raven labs DI, so I can bring it in and out when I want to to loop
>bits in with my bass nonsense...

Aside from the occasional solo gig where I process prerecorded
material, all of my performances are based on sampling and processing
of other performers. The setup varies somewhat, but normally is built
around a mixer with multiple effects sends and several processors.

I did this for several years (1982-85) with Diamanda Galas, using two
DDLs, an Eventide Harmonizer, and digital reverb. In this case there
was no looping (except on one of the prerecorded backing tapes), but
there was a certain amount of cross-routing of the effects. I
returned all the effects outputs to mixer inputs, so that I could
send one effect to another via the effects sends. The main outputs
generally went to a quad surround speaker system. We used four
microphones, and these were often sent individually to separate
processors. Mics were also spatially assigned for some pieces. On
"Eyes Without Blood" AKA "Les yeux sans sang" AKA "Wild Women With
Steakknives" three stand mics were arranged in a small triangle. The
left mic went to the left front speaker and the right mic to the
right speaker; the top (center) mic went to the rear speaker(s). The
left and right mics were individually assigned to DDLs and the
returns of these delays were assigned to the opposite speakers (left
mic to left speaker and to DDL1; DDL1 output to right speaker). The
hand-held mic went to all speakers.

Performances with bassist Robert Black used a smaller setup, usually
an Eventide H3000 and one or two TC2290 sampler/delays, with
everything controlled from a Max patch and fader boxes. The
processing was generally more extreme than with Diamanda and was much
more freely improvised. In these performances looping and processing
with long delays were common.

A couple projects with the Philadelphia new music ensemble Relache
used a method of sending selected inputs to a Fairlight Voicetracker,
so rather than imposing effects processing on the instrumental sounds
I would generate a derived synthesizer voice that tracked the source
with varying degrees of accuracy. Sometimes I'd send an instrument
signal into a reverb and then to the Voicetracker, introducing a kind
of "pitch memory" to the VT's response.

My setup with Cosmic Debris (late '90s) used a pair of Eventides fed
by signals from the rest of the band (actor, flute, keyboard synths,
percussion loops, sometimes bass). The processing in this case was
all over the DSP map, but looping and sampling were prominent in
certain pieces. Signal routing was accomplished with a sort of
backwards patching of an old Mackie 1604 mixer. I'd send the Alt 3-4
outputs to the house mix, which allowed me to audition my post-fader
effects without sending either the source or the effects to the mix.
Then when I was ready I would assign the effect to Alt.

Processing other people can be challenging both on a technical and
aesthetic level and on an interpersonal level. Most people just don't
like their performance to be messed with; others treat it as a
delightful opportunity.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com