Echoplex Demystification

Welcome back Mr. Grob!

Matthias Grob wrote:

> Do you EDP users agree with Gregs point? :
>
> >3) it appeared that there was a
> >substantial learning curve associated with being able to use an EDP
> >effectively.
>
> if that is true I completely failed.
> It seems very easy to press-play-press and then overdub with the
> second button and fade with FB. Other functions are usefull but not
> needed to make great music. And even those are easy to grab.

I agree completely with what Matthias says here.  The EDP is very
straightforward out of the box, and the default parameters and
architecture are structured in such a way that you can choose to delve
more deeply into the unit if and when you so choose.  But you absolutely
don't need to understand every single function and parameter in order to
use it just as you would expect to use a DL4, a Jamman, etc.

One thing I'm going to try and focus on at the clinic in Santa Cruz this
weekend is the "bread and butter" aspect of the EDP - the idea that, as
Matthias says, you can get an awful lot of milage out of just a few
functions.  The architecture the Echoplex uses is actually very
intuitive and straightforward, but because of the unit's unique and
somewhat ideosyncratic terminology, they're the sort of things that can
be a bit tricky to visualize in one's ear ahead of time.

So hopefully there'll be some technical demystification of things this
weekend - as well as some healthy and deliberate musical mysticism...   :()

--Andre LaFosse
The Echoplex Analysis Pages:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP